Monday 21 May 2012

Because the Music do

A lonely life
Where no one understands you
But don't give up
Because the music do

Lyrics from my favourite KORN song, Twisted Transistor (link below).

How true this rings... music connects with us (well, most of us) in a way that I certainly can't understand. Music, more specifically each album, is like a book. From the start of the album, the very first track, we are transported into a world that is completely different from our own; a world so different, so obscure sometimes, yet we still can relate. Music speaks to us on a level that really can't be defined. These artists that will likely never meet us, or if they do, will not become a regular close friend, become our best friends. All of a sudden, that band knows how we feel. That song translates those feelings that we cannot describe... words that could never be deciphered can be translated into a musical form where a sequence of words, rhymes and sounds perfectly define how you feel... or at least contrast how you feel to cheer you up... to give you a different perspective on life.
For example, listening to the Linkin Park album Meteora, you are taken into a world that is ruled by those 6 individuals... Phoenix makes the bass boom, Mr. Han spins the turntables rigorously, Brad attacks the guitar, shaking the very foundation of the song,  Rob's drums provide a steady beat, background noise essential to this world, and lastly the contrast of Chester singing aggressive, meaningful lyrics and Mike providing background and history to the song, adds another dimension to the song. Starting at the opening track "Forward," you hear the steady smash of a hammer and stone... getting faster and faster until the frame of the atmosphere of the song smashes like a pane of glass... and instantly you are taken into "Don't Stay," a song about individuality... something that would define the band's future tracks, marching to the beat of their own drum. I just described the basis and the beginning of the album... the album as a whole is like a story. In the lyrics, in the notes and rhythms, in the way each instrument and voice is used to add to each song. This story draws me in every. single. time.

Stepping back.
This is what I get out of it. It doesn't matter what "story" you are engaged in, whether it would be music or book, it's just the engagement of being involved, being taken into a world that isn't your own, being pulled out of your hell, and into their hell. "This band/song/album/book really understands me, it helped me get through tough times" is something I hear on a regular basis. And that's true. Music and books will do that, because they bring you out your world and into a different one.
Speaking from personal experience, this is how it works for me. There is a band for each stage of my life; there is a band that defines my life. The band that has stuck with me, that I have listened to nearly every single day since grade 4, is Linkin Park. They have helped me get through every rough patch of my life starting from grade 4. They have brought me into their world, and taken me out of mine each and every time I needed that to happen. I think everyone has a band/group/artist/writer like that, whether it would be J.K Rowling's Harry Potter or whatever. That one defining experience that brings you back every time, that you can rely on to help you through whatever... they bring you out of your reality and into theirs.
After that one defining experience, there are smaller experiences that bring you through rough patches alongside the single defining one. For example, through grade 7, me and my friends went through a punk-rock phase where we become Billy Talent and Anti-flag fanatics. We knew every song, and to tell you the truth I still know every song, and that punk-rock alongside Linkin Park helped me get through that grade... with all of its disappointments and regrets.
Then came along grade 8.
With grade 8, I had a lot of shit going on. A lot of it I couldn't explain to other people... I was also in a huge Paintball craze back in grade 8. During that craze, I listened to Bullet for my Valentine and, as always, Linkin Park. Now every time I think about paintball, talk about it, whenever it comes up, I think about Bullet for my Valentine. They are my paintball band.
This happened for every stage, ill spare you the details.
Bands such as KORN, 3 Doors Down, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Rise Against, 30 Seconds to Mars, Atreyu, Fort Minor, Coldplay, System of a Down, Slipknot, Scars on Broadway, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters, Disturbed, Guns and Roses, Pearl Jam, and Shinedown all told their stories in my life, all brought me into their personal hell to take me out of mine.

The interesting thing is, it didn't exactly matter what the music was about, I just had to like it. I could be sad, and a sad song on an album would come on (Easier to Run) and it would somehow cheer me up. Or I could be happy, and an upbeat song would come on and my mood would change. Or vise-versa. As long as it caught my attention, and I liked what I was hearing, it worked. Bringing me into a world that wasn't mine brought a certain peace of mind.

I know it's hell... because writing music is hell. When I write poetry or songs (yes, I write songs too... secretive Tony is secretive)  I need to dig down... deep inside. I need to find those emotions that get me going... whether its anger, longing for belonging, whatever it may be, I need to dig down so deep into those emotions and feelings locked up inside that it brings me into those feelings. It brings me into hell.

I believe that sometimes, we need to go through hell.

So... the point of this post...

Maybe... being taken away from what we have and brought into something else that we don't have, brings peace. Being taken into a hell that isn't ours, takes us out of our own hell even if its just for a little bit. And that's enough. A method to the madness, a break from the fire; into someone else's.
  
Hell brings peace... peace brings hell.

This is Tony signing off.

Korn "Twisted Transistor"

No comments:

Post a Comment