Monday 26 November 2012

Picture the World



A poem written by myself after my trip to Washington DC where I visited the Holocaust memorial museum. I encourage everyone to go there at least once in their lifetime, I know its not the same as going to the actual camps in Europe but it sure was powerful. I can safely say that it changed my perspective on life, and it helped me mature as a person. Understanding the past, and seeing the terror that ensued those dark years... its something that everyone could use. We need a reminder every now and then, to remember true brutality and evil.

So here it is, my poem. 

Picture the world, the way it is now;
Fast, vast, restless and loud.
The cities that never sleep, the souls we will never meet,
Our shadows, stuck in the unforgiving concrete.

Now picture a world, burning in the sky.
These souls you will never meet make the fire rise.
Swimming in the smoke, scorching the eye,
The weight of their world, unbearable to you and I.

Picture a world, far from you and me
A burst of light that blinds every angel into the sea.
One so similar, so evil to you and I,
A world where oceans bleed into the sky.

Now imagine a mirror, a wake of devastation.
A world where the defiling of humanity, an emancipation.
The injection of hate, rape, obliterates, eradicates
The veins of the normally humane.
A world where you cross the line for being nothing more than who you really are
“Cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice, and love” (Martin Luther King Jr.)

After all of that, picture a world, lifeless and bland.
You are the only one left on this colourless land.
You are but the last grain of rice, left to be devoured.
Go ahead, try to reach and run,
You will succeed in grasping these razor stone grounds
This world has rooted us into one. Single. Spot.
It has left us gazing upon these grounds which were once the most beautiful,
Now the most hideous.



There it is, say what you will, say what you might. This is it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment